Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lucsian : 593 Grams

9/29/09 : 593 Grams

Activity :
3:24 PM 593 Grams
7:28 PM 558 Grams


The wind today was pretty strong but I wasn't going to let that get the better of us as we really are doing great about muscling up and learning the fundamentals on chasing and paying attention to the ski pole and other participants out in the field.


When we first got out we started an area that we have worked a couple times and been successful once. The area is full of cholla and normally we can get some good flushes. Coarse this is from only a couple hunts but today all I could get was jacks to get up and run. Luscian chased after 2 of them and seemed real interested in one of them but eventually pulled off after 60 or so yard. After we had walked most of the area that was full of cholla and found no rabbits I was thinking that once again the wind has kept the cotton tail under and I might go home empty handed. I decided then that we where going to go after a rat and once we found the first nest we worked it with success catching a small rat. I traded off Luscian to a DOC and decided to go walk another area a good 400 yards off. It didn't have the same cover mostly grass with a few cholla. Eventually after no luck I found an area with lots of weeds. These weeds where real poky and not the most comfortable to walk through but A few times I could hear rabbits inside but couldn't get them into sight. Towards the end finally we got a flush. This rabbit ran out into the open grass area towards a prairie dog field going full speed. Fortunately Luscian was of the mind to pump like I have never seen him pump before. He kept with that rabbit not letting it juke him with its zigs and its zags. I was running full speed as well but in no way could I keep up. The chase was a good 70+ yards and as the rabbit got to the Prairie dog town I saw Luscian pump from his 3 feet above ground to the Zero mark and spin that Cotton Tail. As I ran I could see them struggle together but I got there fast enough to grab the back legs as Luscian already had it by the head. I made it a point that I wanted to touch his feet and play with the rabbit a little too which he seemed to not care about at all. After the dispatch I let him pick at the jaw as I put some rabbit meat the size of a racket ball on the lure. Trade off was simple and graceful allowing me to bag the bunny for the following trip back to the truck just in case we got another flush.


First Double- What an honor and privilege.









No comments:

Post a Comment