Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Luscian's First Hunt!


9/9/09 : 594 Grams

Activity :
4:54 PM 594 Grams
8:38 PM 618 Grams fed 24 grams



Today was more fun than I could have imagined! Our first hunt was in the evening after 530pm. We spent the last 2 hours of daylight flying, chasing and coming back home together.
First Ill start at the beginning. We got to the field and the anxioty of the first flight was really getting to my head. We did a couple flights to the fist on the creance and I decided I was going to GO FOR IT!. We put on the new flight Jesses and did a couple flights to the fist and I was ready to get knee deep in it. As we walked to the field Luscian couldnt resist the urge to go catch some grass hoppers that where jumping all over the place. A couple bouts at that and back to the fist we went. Then He took off after a butterfly and caught it and ate it quickly. First Catch? Ill count that as a MISC. Once we got into the part of the field that I wanted to be in Luscian noticed that there where little sparrows and that he wanted a go at them. He flew a good 40 yards for them. Not getting them after he crashed the bush he flew back to the fist without being called or offered a tidbit. Couple more sparrow chases incured before we got our first Chase at a Mourning Dove. Luscian flew for a good 60 yards before giving up on that and when I saw him turn off the burners I whistled and he started towards me. Well he was coming with the wind and ended up coming at me at MACH 1 so he overshot me and turned around without touching the ground and came to the fist. The first Bout with Scaled Quail was pretty fun. I busted a covey and Luscian took off after them right away. He chased one to a sage bush and crashed the bush in almost redtail style. I cant believe how hard he crashes on his first time out! Anyhow, I didnt see the quail come out so I came over for a reflush. Luscian got to the fist instantly and I hit the bush for the flush. Quail bailing at a blur of a speed, Luscian chased only to be burned in the long run. Im not to worried though as he doesnt have the muscle or lungs to deal with that yet. But he will soon enough. Our second bout with quail was when I was walking and noticed Luscian bend over straight and start cocking his head. I looked to see what he was looking at and noticed a covey running and jumping up into a cholla cactus. Luscian left the fist and gained speed. Now I watched him hit the sage a few times earlier but I was not ready to see him crash a huge cactus. It was just the right shape as Luscian busted through the other side of the bush he hit it so hard. His footing will eventually get better and his cordination will grow but I was scared about how much Cactus I was going to have to pull out of him. Ended up not finding any. So whew.. The third covey of quail just took off and left Luscian in thier dust. He was deffinatly working for his money today.
Now Rabbits. 30 minutes before dark the rabbits started to come out. Luscian saw a Jack that I flushed but didnt go after it, Im glad for that. The first cotton tail that he saw he didnt go after either and it really wasnt that big. The third one though was interesting. When this rabbit flushed it ran pretty quick but stopped as luscian wasnt in tow. Well luscian watched it as it took off the second time and went into a small pile of broked up tumble weed. Off the fist and cruising pretty quickly he Slammed into the brush. I heard a scream from the rabbit and it feels like just as I took my first step to run to them the rabbit busted out the other side and Luscian was empty handed. I say he grabbed but not good enough. WOW!
Walking back to the truck I decided that we would do a small lure. I flicked out a piece of meat and Luscian was off to get it. While he was doing that I pulled the lure and walked back 15 or so feet. For the first time when I swung the lure Luscian came in Hot and took the Lure in the air. He got to eat his 4 day old quail and came to the fist for his tidbit.
Now the scary part. Not 20 feet from there I take the wrong step and I hear Rattle snake! I jumped back and instantly grabbed Luscians Jesses. Good thing as he bated towards the snakes. There ended up being 2. I took a photo just after the first one went into a hole not 10 inches away. The flash must have freaked the other one and he was aggressive as hell and we will leave what happened to him at that.
Put Luscian back in the truck and off to Home Sweet Home.
The Diversity of things chased to day was so much fun. Who could have asked for a better first free flight!


No comments:

Post a Comment