Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lucsian : 580 Grams

9/17/09 : 580 Grams

Activity :
10:20 AM 580 Grams
1:28 PM 630 Grams fed 50 grams.



I have this friend who is a pastor at a church. The past few years he has allowed me on his property, especially his barn to catch pigeons with the occasional rabbit that was in there. No rabbits in there today, it would have been nice to have a baggie. All I need is one.
*
Anyhow, I asked Paul if he was busy and if not how would he like to get out and fly the new bird with me. He gracfully said yes and met me at his house. The barn was bare with nothing in it as his son set up a blind and had been shooting the pigeons for some time now. Sounds like the 410 worked out just fine.
*
So we walked around his 5 acre property. Through the middle of it though there is a strip that is not his. It is a trail for horse riders. Well it is in a little bit of a ditch. Not really a ditch but lower in elevation and I could imagine that in a good rain that it would fill with water. Well there was quite a bit of live tumble weed and sage bush through out the area and we started working it for rabbits.
*
Luscian earlier in the day, about a half hour before the hunt had gotten about 10 grams of quail meat and must have felt extra energy or a thirst for more because he chased much better today. A couple of the flights produced fast rabbits making it to holes before Luscian could get them. One of the flushes had a rabbit that ran into a bush with luscian stretching out to get it just as it hit the sage. Unfortunatly the rabbit ran out the other side and Luscian held onto the branches thinking he had the rabbit. He wouldnt let go for about 2 minutes. One time also took off the fist and went a good 35 yards and landed on some tumble weed. While he was footing the crap out of it I was thinking COME ON BIRD! Well One should listen to thier bird just like one should listen to thier dog pulling a sled. They know sometimes much better than you ever will. What I did know though was the rabbit ran out of the tumble weeds just behind Luscian and he never saw it go. All in All Luscian chased pretty hard today and flew for a good hour and a half.
*
Normally Ive been feeding Jack rabbit to Luscian. After I decided that I want to bring his weight up I decided to day to feed Quail. 30 Grams of adult with a little fat and 2, 4 day old quail on the lure. Im thinking I want to raise him to 595 grams and see if the quiet screaming goes away. While he is developing the thought of stopping a rabbit I may as well feed him good food to yellow him up and give him lots of energy. Lets see what happens tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment