Monday, August 24, 2009

Lucsian : 625 Grams

8/24/09 : 625 Grams

Activity :
10:05 AM 625 Grams

Fed 16g from glove to 641g

Luscian is doing different things every day. Kind of fun for a guy that hasn't manned a bird in 2 years. Last night after work we did some fist time and watched the news and stargate for a couple hours. Only 3 bates and 2 recovered on his own.

Today I'm off so I took my son to the babysitter and am spending the whole day with Luscian. We sat and watched TV for an hour or so before I got hungry and had breakfast with luscian watching me from the perch. He is now as of today jumping back to the perch after a bate though sometimes he will spend some time on the floor before returning. He is now also seeming calm enough to preen like crazy, not as much as he shakes his tail but not far either. LOL. He will put up a foot and watch me constantly and seems unbothered as I walk in circles around the perch while I talk Harris hawks with other falconers on the phone.

The subject of food for me now is that with him calming down nicely, I want him to take food from the glove. After dispatching a quail I cut up pieces the size of beans. I had about 8 pieces from part of a breast. Luscian bated from the perch as I put the garnished glove to him so I went to the floor to show him what this was all about. I ended up having to put the food to his beak and with his bite he took it. From there he took the rest of the food while standing on the ground. I did try to get him to take one while on the fist but he just wouldn't do it. I decided that he will get no more today and maybe tomorrow he will be hungry enough to bend down and eat a bit.

We are spending a good 50% on the fist and the other 50% on perch amost constantly in my sight.

The day ended off pretty well. At the beginning of the dab I had a bird that I was still fearfull to touch bare handed and bating alot on the perch. By the end of the day I was allowed to touch anywhere I wanted and the perch was held by one foot while family and myself walked by going along our daily actvities.

It's like a switch went off.

No comments:

Post a Comment