Monday, November 30, 2009

580 Grams



The weather today was just beautiful. No wind to speak of but just a breeze. I took Luscian out to one of my northern most fields. It is known for cotton tail and jacks with small numbers of quail.There are no trees so Luscian has to stay on the fist or follow as we walk long distances.
*
When we first got to the field I went right to the cotton tail honey hole only to find out that there where none there. At least that I couldn't find. The cover is short but the cover is full of spikes and painful to walk through. The spines go right through my jeans and make the walk Very uncomfortable. There is a wide open area between cotton tail areas. I'm guessing its at least half a mile. As I walked the direction to the second field I busted up a few Jacks. The first just smoked Luscian but the second ran with the slight wind and was doing pretty well till it decided to hide behind a sage bush. Luscian whipped around and I saw the Jack run out the other side with Luscian attached to its back end! With some tumbling and spinning the jack worked itself loose before I could even get close enough to help. I really should have taken a picture of all the fur that was pulled on that one. The third jack had a similar outcome but less fur was pulled. Before we got to the Cotton field we ran into a mouse running through the grass and it became a quick tidbit. At the Cotton tail field of second chance we had a good half dozen shots. Seems Luscian takes off and lands 20 yards off just as I hit a bush and a rabbit comes out. That is so frustrating and I ended up holding his Jesses to help our odds. Not sure what that is all about but it was annoying. One of the cotton tail chases took a couple re flushes all in a non stop action. The cotton tail would bail to a bush and I would hit it as Luscian pitched up. Then to the next bush. Finally after the 3rd bush Luscian was High and the rabbit ran to the open for a hole. Luscian hit the ground hard just as the rabbit hit the hole. I got there quick to find Luscian mostly in the hole with his wings and head hanging out. I worked very carefully to pull him out. He had a hold of his Knee, he must have thought he had the rabbit but the other foot had nothing. He took a bit to let go of his own leg. On the way back to the truck we caught another mouse. HMMM.... Proud of my little guy grabbing a jack. Hopefully he will be flying in a cast within the next 2 weeks with Gizmo.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you guys are having fun. I need to get out west and try to find some jacks!
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was nice to read this that was really nice...that show that u work on it.. great man.. for more information regarding Netting bird ,bird control,bird repellent,pest bird control,spikes bird u can visit http://www.usabirdcontrol.com

    ReplyDelete