Thursday, November 5, 2009

605 Grams

Well its taken 5 days to get Luscian back down to 605 grams. I'm thinking I may want to drop to the 600 range as it seems to really be a good number for him. I took Luscian to the college today and we had a great time chasing bunnies that bordered the golf course. Those bunnies though knew just where the holes where at the fence line and Luscian just had too much trouble with the heavy cover before the rascals got away. He was definitely hot to trot though as he chased with real zeal. At one point I flushed a jack right at my feet. That rabbit ran pretty fast and next thing I knew they where 30 yards away. Luscian has started to stray off after a bit when chasing jacks but today he really seemed like he wanted to get one. Ok, so the jack took off and was 30 yards off and instantly stopped and hid behind a cholla bush. Luscian instantly pitched up a good 25 feet and dove straight down behind the cactus. Next thing I hear a jack scream and suddenly I see a jack running with a Harris Hawk attached to its Back! Wow was this almost comical watching this rabbit run full tilt screaming and Kicking like a Bronco! It was only another 30 yards of that and Luscian let go. He didn't seem any worse for the wear so I gave him a generous tidbit for his actions. Towards the end of the day we got to a stream that had a bunch of trees around it and they where all big. The leaves where dropped for the most part and Luscian took to them and climbed quite nicely. The fun part was that there where 2 rabbits that where in this area that was maybe a quarter acre and they wouldn't leave the saftey of the trees but there where no hiding places either. They would move around getting chased by the hawk and juke him enough to get away making him re perch in the tree. There was allot of cover but no holes. They also would move real slow if I didn't put real pressure on them. Eventually they both took off and made it to safety. On the way back to the truck we pulled what I would call a Jo now as we caught a mouse. Funny think is that it was so small I cant imagine that it was weaned from its mother. LOL. Good times but No camera for the day.

2 comments:

  1. I wish we had jacks. I have a hard time finding marsh rabbits.

    Keep up the good work.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsh Rabbits? Where are you from Doug?

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete