Monday, November 16, 2009

593 Grams First Rabbit Double!


Photo of Luscian after his first bunny catch. I had to take off my jacket as 39 degrees F was too warm to hunt with a jacket.



Todays Hunt went by pretty quickly. Luscian was super screamy today and when we got to the field it was nice to hear silence. We went to CSU and started our work near the baseball field, luscian following my by changing position on the wall. I got to the end of one of the sides of the diamond and all the sudden I hear a rabbit screaming behind me. WOW I was only 30 yards away and after a few steps I stopped to hear if everything was still on so that I could locate them. The cover was super dense. Not bushes but lots of weeds. I got to Luscian and he had a great hold onto this decent sized rabbit. I figured we where only out for 3 minutes so we where going to go out and work on more bunnies.





As we cleared out of the heavy cover we started on a hill with some cholla. We got one chase right away but the rabbit made it to a rat nest and I didnt feel like working the nest. I am trying to enforce rabbits and not rats right now. While Luscian was still on the nest I walked foreward. 20 feet later I got another one up and made the game call. With the rabbit running down hill and luscian following in hot persuit I ran like no other. The rabbit made it to another cholla and Luscian pitched straight up a good 30 feet giving me time to run in and reflush. I got to the cholla seeing the bunny the whole time. I hit the bush as soon as I got there so that I could give Luscian the best advantage. The rabbit ran full tilt but with a hawk coming in from straight above it had little chance. Luscian hit it hard and the fight was on. This rabbit wanted to kick my birds butt pretty bad and was doing a good job of it till I got there. Stretched Luscian got to eat the front leg. I really am proud of my little guy!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. I wish we had more rabbits.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have decent numbers, though Id like to see more in other areas too. I know how you feel though. Been there.

    ReplyDelete