Wednesday, December 2, 2009

678 Grams Redtail Attack!

Even though the winds where at 20+ I still took Luscian out to hunt. Traditionally I dont find any rabbits when it is windy but I wanted to take the chance and at least get some excersize. Off to the college we went. The hunt started as normal with the patern that we have grown to find that works hitting certain areas first and working in a path that is almost becoming Deer like only Falconer like. We had only one chase at a cotton tail after we got a good mile away from the truck and Luscian crashed the bush too early and the rabbit took off without him seeing it go. Even with me making the game call he was still too interested in the bush and its possible contents. Like hunts past I have seen this Hag Redtail but it only messed with us a couple times and never seemed too aggressive. I saw once again this bird and didnt think much of it.
*
With Luscian following me we started to walk back to the truck for the end of the hunt. The spot we where hunting in had some perching spots and trees but it was a good 150 yards to the next spot with them and Luscian took off to the tree line out in the distance. As I walked a hill blinded my view of My little harris hawk but I didnt think anything of it as things have gone so well and he has seemed to figure out the routine in this area. As I got to the top of the hill and still a good 60 yards to the spot I saw a bird hovering above the tree. At first I thought it was Luscian and was proud that he was taking some time to stretch his wings while he waited for me but alas, It was the redtail. It stooped the 5 feet he was from Luscian who was sitting in the top branches of the tree and barely missed my bird. I started Yelling and Running as fast as I could and thankfully the Redtail took off for the next tree and shortly leaving out of my site towards the buildings of the college. I didnt have Jesses with me like an idiot so I decided that I must have scared the redtail away and that we would finish the quarter mile treck back to the truck as normal. Luscian followed nicely as if nothing had happened and landed on a pole as we walked. At this point I had open eyes and soon enough I noticed that the redtail was coming in again and pretty quick despite it was coming against the wind. Instantly I pulled the lure and just as fast Luscian came in for it meeting me at the ground and safe from the Redtail. I threw up my ski pole and yelled alot and the redtail took off half a mile to a tall Radio tower and landed. At this point we where only a good 200 yards to the truck and I decided to make a run for it giving Luscian tidbits on the way as he followed as in this area he doesnt like to stay on the fist. I know i should have just put him in my vest and kept going but I had an eye on this redtail off in the distance and felt safe finishing our task at hand. Luscian followed well and next to the truck is a baseball field with a wall that he likes to perch on. At that point I started to video Luscian flying in the wind and following me while I also kept an eye on the redtail on the pole. As I was 25 yards to the truck I noticed on the tower the redtail come off and Luscian coming in to the truck. At that point I stopped video as I wanted to hurry and open the truck to get Luscian in. Its at that moment that while I was watching the other redtail and Luscian closing in to with in 15 yards of the truck that a SECOND REDTAIL in a full stoop slammed into my Luscian as he was almost 20 feet into the air. This redtail was a female and knocked my bird down pretty hard. Luckily he was able to catch himself before hitting the ground. The redtail didnt bind but smacked my bird pretty good. Luscian came to the fist instantly. I didnt even have a chance to yell really before this other bird hit Luscian and I have no idea where it came from. Thought my eyes where open but you can never be too careful. Next time Ill have jesses in the vest at least and ill deffinatly count my blessings that Luscian came home safe and seemingly un offended. He is still squacky and wanting his food so I think he is just fine.
*
Last time Ill hunt the College for a while. Scary to think of having a cast and not having the controle that you have of one bird.

1 comment:

  1. that was awesome ... it is nicely written ..For more information regarding Netting bird, bird control, bird repellents, pest bird control, spikes bird u can visit : http:// www.usabirdcontrol.com

    ReplyDelete